Thursday, February 28, 2008


120/80

What is Blood pressure? Blood pressure is the force in the arteries when the heart beats this is the systolic pressure and when the heart is at rest that is the diastolic pressure. The American Heart Association (
http://www.americanheart.org) states that a normal blood pressure, for adults should 120/80 or lower. Uncontrolled high blood pressure can lead to stroke, heart attack, and heart and/or kidney failure.

Many doctors believe that various factors can lead to hypertension, a reading consistently above 140/90. For many Americans hypertension is a result of being overweight, smoking, drinking alcohol to excess, lack of physical activity, and family history of the condition.

According to the American Heart Association except in a few rare cases, doctors don't know what causes high blood pressure and I am one of the rare cases. When I was first diagnosed, I was very angry and upset. Questions of “Why me” kept creeping into my head. There are still moments that I become discouraged that I need to rely on several medicines to keep my body functioning properly.

When I stopped having a pity party, I suppose that I am thankful that my condition was caught early before any damage was done to my heart and kidneys. As I age, I realize that I have less control over my body. However, I do have control over making healthy choices that will optimistically keep me around for a long time!

No comments: