Tuesday, January 29, 2008

I sooooo hate grocery shopping. . . The mere thought of it causes me to spiral into a slight depression. This evening I stopped at the store after school and I left physically and emotionally drained, and my encounter with “Stephen” didn't help matters. First let me give you a small glimpse into the inefficiency of this process.

Think about it…
• Food is placed in the cart
• Food is taken from the cart and placed onto the conveyor belt
• From the belt the food is placed into a bag • The bag is then removed from the counter and placed back into the cart
• The bagged items are ONCE AGAIN removed from the cart and placed into the trunk of your car
• Upon arriving home, YOU AGAIN remove the bags from the trunk and carry the purchases into the house and unpack all of the items you just had to pack in the first place!

I ALWAYS pick the line that has the Laziest cashier - the individual who could care less about the task at hand. This evening, “Stephen” muttered something that resembled “Hello” - I think. He then proceeds to JAM the food into the corner of the counter at which point the expectation has become that I BAG THE GROCERIES. So, not only am I forced to participate in this inefficient process, and then I am REQUIRED TO BAG MY OWN STUFF, while "Stephen" chats it up with the young lady occupying the lottery ticket counter!! Hellooooooooooo it's called do your job!! I just spent $80 in your store - the least you can do, Stephen, is put my ice cream in a stinkin' bag.

2 comments:

Jennifer Imparato said...

I feel your pain :) I purposely went shopping at a 24 hour Giant so that I could go in, grab what I needed, go through the self-check, and get out. Well, the guy watching the self check had a real attitude about my coupons. I made him do his job (press a button).. oh what a shame. hehe

I like to go to the Giant in camp hill, where you use your supercard to pick up a scanner and you go around and shop, scanning your items and bagging them as you go. Then you check out, scan your supercard, and pay, and leave. It eliminates the in-out-out-bag-bags-in process.. the food is already in the bag. But driving 30 mins to a store when there is one 2 mins away wasn't a good idea at midnight. :)

Chris said...

This is why I usually go shopping a little after midnight. There's hardly anyone in the store and I can get right out at the self check. I suppose this plan doesn't work so well if somebody has a real job. Or likes to sleep for that matter.